Keeping your teeth’s natural form and function
Fillings offer a natural looking treatment which is there for restorative or cosmetic reasons. A filling is one of the dental treatments used to treat a cavity, repair a cracked or broken tooth, or a tooth that has been damaged from tooth grinding or nail biting.
A filling is a way to restore a tooth back to its normal shape and function. The procedure can be done by removing the decayed portion of the tooth and filling it with either a tooth-coloured composite filling or a silver metal filling to help restore the tooth.
Tooth-coloured and silver fillings (amalgams)
There are differences in the two different types of fillings, both have their advantages and disadvantages:
Tooth-coloured composite fillings
- Can be matched very closely to the colour of the existing teeth.
- Bonding to the tooth structure can provide support to the tooth.
- It is versatile and can also be used to repair chipped, broken or worn out teeth.
- They begin to harden immediately after being placed.
- They are not so strong and can only last about five years.
- They take longer to place than silver fillings.
- They can cost much more than silver fillings.
- Some composite material can chip off the tooth depending on where it is placed.
- It can last between 10 to 15 years.
- It is stronger than tooth coloured composite fillings.
- It is less expensive than tooth coloured composite fillings.
- They don’t match the colour of your natural teeth.
- Can cause a greyish discoloration which surrounds the tooth.
- A few patients may experience an allergic to the mercury present in amalgam restorations.
Why do we need Fillings?
The food and drinks we consume leaves bacteria on your teeth. This bacteria is attacked with an acid which eats away at your teeth – which we more commonly known as ‘plaque’. When regular check-ups and cleaning do not happen as often as they should, this plaque starts to destroy the teeth. This is the start of problems which lead to the need for a filling, such as tooth decay and cavities.
Other reasons for a filling are cracked/ broken teeth and teeth effected by teeth grinding or nail biting.
These problems need fixing to prevent any further damage to the teeth and restoring the tooth back to its normal shape and function.
SOHO Dental Fillings
Dentists at SOHO dental recommend you a filling which is suited to your needs: Other steps include:
- When getting a filling is to make sure that you are comfortable throughout the procedure (Dentists usually do this by using an anaesthetic).
- Removing any tooth decay.
Fillings Point Cook
Fillings are an important treatment that keep teeth healthy and prevent further restorative treatment. If you are concerned that you many need a filling or need to book in for an appointment, contact us today!