What is a Dental Crown?
A crown is a tooth shaped cover used to cap, strengthen and restore a tooth that is damaged, broken or chipped. It is made of metal or porcelain or in some instances both of these materials. Porcelain gives the tooth a more natural look.
When is a crown needed?
Crowns are utilised for many different reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- A crown is used when a large filling needs to be replaced.
- It is needed to protect and support a weak tooth from breaking or repair a fractured tooth.
- A crown is used to cover a dental implant or discoloured tooth.
- It is needed during root canal treatment to cover up a tooth.
The procedure and treatment for a Crown
Our friendly dentist at Soho Dental will prepare your tooth for the crown by first giving you a local anaesthetic before the start of the treatment.
- Stage 1
Next, our dentist will clean the tooth to be capped and remove any signs of decay. Your tooth will then be reshaped using a small drill.
Once this is complete, dental wax will be used to take an impression of your tooth and the mould will be sent to the laboratory to be made.
During this time a temporary crown will be placed until the actual crown arrives.
- Stage 2
During your second dental visit, our dentist will remove the temporary crown. Then a special type of acid will be used on the surface of the tooth to give it a rough surface to form a strong bond with the crown.
Thereafter, our dentist will check if the crown fits or needs any adjustments. Once this is complete, our dentist will complete the procedure by fixing the crown in place using dental cement.
What is a dental bridge?
A dental bridge is used to replace missing teeth with false teeth/artificial teeth that are anchored onto neighbouring teeth for support. It can also improve your speech, bite and help keep the shape of your facial bone structure.
When is a dental bridge needed?
Dental bridges are needed when:
- You have one or more missing teeth.
- You lose the natural shape of your face due to missing teeth.
- You have a tooth that is severely decayed.
- You have a tooth that is not stable, damaged or broken and cannot be saved.
Crowns and Bridges Point Cook
If you have any questions or want to book yourself in for an appointment, contact us today!