Straighten your teeth with Braces
What are Dental Braces?
Dental braces are used to gradually adjust teeth that are not positioned properly in the mouth.
It is one of the most well-known procedures that can be used to straighten teeth, make them look and work better, and reduce the risk of tooth decay or gum disease. It can also improve the overall health of your teeth, gums and mouth.
The treatment for braces can last between 18 to 24 months depending on the severity of the condition and can be done for patients from the age of eight years and over.
Why would braces help my teeth?
- Braces can help shape your upper and lower jaws and enhance your facial features.
- It can improve the shape and size of your lips.
- Braces can help with habits like thumb sucking or nail biting.
- It can improve your bite and problems associated with speech.
- Most importantly, braces can help straighten your teeth.
Who is a good candidate for braces?
The ideal candidates for braces are those with good general health, who want their teeth to be straighter or those with problems associated with bite. These include:
- Crowding of your teeth.
- Teeth having too much space between your teeth.
- You have an overbite, underbite, open biteor
- Your teeth overjet.
The procedure for getting braces
- The initial step for obtaining braces involves a thorough evaluation and record-taking with an experienced clinician.
- First, teeth are cleaned to prepare them for the fitting.
- Next, bonding glue, which is harmless is applied to the tooth.
- The brackets (either metal or ceramic) are then attached to the teeth.
- Lastly, an arch wire that will connect your teeth is placed in the brackets and secured using elastic bands.
Types of braces
We at Soho Dental offer various types of braces which are available today, these include: metal and ceramic wired, Lingual and clear aligners.
- Metal braces are made of the small stainless-steel brackets and have arch wires which are now heat-activated and are able to move your teeth quickly and less painfully
- Ceramic braces are the same shape and size as metal braces but have tooth-coloured brackets that provide a more natural look.
- Lingual braces are exactly the same as metal braces; however, these are hidden on the inside of your teeth.
- Clear Aligners are made of customised, strong and clear plastic material that can be removed from your teeth. They will need to be replaced every two weeks to keep moving the teeth into position.
Our dentist will recommend the best option for you.